Saturday, April 4, 2015

https://docs.google.com/a/lehigh.edu/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AlIaQbGP_757dHNnMm4xQ0pZajBPNEQ2YWtiZGpweFE&output=html

I chose to do mine on events that have influenced the gay rights movement in the U.S.  I liked working on this assignment, mainly because I have never used photos from public sites like Getty Images before. It was cool to see all the interesting photos that are available for us to use, and it was also very encouraging to see how so many people are willing to share their work. I liked coming up with an ideal image in my head to go along with an event, and then looking for a photo that kind of matched or even exceeded that vision. It helped me to think visually about how to represent events in an interesting way.
A couple of times, I could not find an image to go with the event, so that also made me think of what kind of photo I would use if I could take the photo myself. For example, for the Stonewall Inn riots, I thought it would be cool to find a photo from a more recent gathering or parade in front of the inn, to show how it's still such an integral symbol of the gay rights movement, not just a static moment in history. But, I couldn't really find a photo that tied those two concepts together. Since I'm currently taking photography for the Brown & White, I'm starting to think about how I can incorporate my own photography into my future journalism work and getting used to thinking on my feet when I'm first assigned an article.

No comments:

Post a Comment