Monday, May 11, 2015

Gaby's Class Recap

This class has been so helpful in making me see that I really like doing multimedia work. I might not love the "social" part of it as much, but I've come to realize that I really like filming and editing video, and other visual things - like photography. So I guess I intend to keep that going potentially as part of my work for The Brown and White.
Besides that, learning basic coding, and all those other multimedia tools (like Timeline JS, Piktochart, Story Map JS, etc.) will help me think of a story as a package as opposed to just the written word and that can enhance a story to make it better.
I really liked all the work we did on our websites, because it gave me something to show during my internship search and it seemed to really impress people. The class also helped me create great multimedia work for my portfolio. That being said, the class was a little bit tough at times since there were so many things going on at the same time. All the projects, although helpful for creating that multimedia portfolio and improving my multimedia skills, were so jumbled up because of the passing around of google glass that it was hard to keep track what was due when.
It was good to have a constant that was the curation project. I'd say that my least favorite part about it was the community aspect of it. I don't know if I just chose the wrong community or I just didn't get it - since the book community can be so broad - but I just felt lost in it and not at all invested in the discussions. Sometimes it would be interesting, but most of the time they discussed things I didn't care for.
I loved blogging and reading articles on my topic to tweet them out. I had never been super in-the-know with all the book news, and it was nice to always be on the loop with what was going on. My friend from work, who also loves books, noticed I tweeted a lot about it and would ask me for book news of the day. I never had an experience like Austin were people on twitter considered me an expert, but I liked having the knowledge for myself.
For the blogging aspect I had to get a little creative, since I didn't want to review books. I usually gave my opinion on the kind of stuff I saw in the news I was reading or just general book-related topics. Sometimes I talked about book news. I liked doing this and I'm going to try to keep it going this summer and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment