Monday, May 11, 2015

Emilie's Glass Projects

Glass Tweets:


Glass Process Video:



Glassumentary:


Working with Google Glass for the first time this semester was a really interesting process, especially after hearing so much hype about it. The very first time I had a day with Glass, I was overwhelmed by the new technology, and not being familiar with how to use it. Once I spent some time reading the directions on connecting it to Wifi and how to use the device, it was pretty cool. I loved walking around practicing taking pictures, checking out the different features like Google search, and everyone I passed by was really fascinated by it. Although, from the first time I used it I did noticed that I couldn’t see the screen clearly unless I closed or squinted one eye. So when I was taking pictures or recording a video it took a lot of focus because the screen was so small and unclear. I feel like I was able to get a grasp of its features on my first day with Glass and the learning curb wasn’t all that difficult but it did take some practice and getting used to. However throughout my experience with Glass, I noticed that there were a lot of features that could be improved upon and it wasn’t as high tech as one would expect. My subjects who I taught how to use the Glass said that same thing, and they were actually disappointed that its picture quality wasn’t great, the camera was slow, and that the voice command was as useful as Siri is half the time. In other words, the Glass seems cool in its concept of wearing a camera on your face, but it is also lacking the sleek, high tech features that its name holds. In order to have a technology that will sell like the Apple Watch, these features need to be improved and the concept alone isn’t enough.


I’m not sure if I’ll be able to use the Glass in my future journalism career because I’m interested in pursuing the magazine editorial industry. However, I know that Periscope has been huge among magazines since the app came out, so if the Glass’s features improve, I’m sure it would be something that companies are interested in using for live reporting on the streets or capturing first person images that couldn’t have been caught with an iPhone. For example, if they’re testing out a product that involves a lot of visuals and if best seen from a first person perspective, this could a unique way to film. Glass is hands free so there are a lot of possibilities for what it could do in stories that require action.



No comments:

Post a Comment